Effects of Soda Pop and soft drinks on your body
I came across a great read on what happens to our bodies within only ONE hour of drinking a can of soda. Most of us kind of know how unhealthy pepsi or coke is for our system…but do we REALLY know?
Before sharing all that, let me take a moment to highlight SOME of the most common ingredients found in pop/soda/soft drink or whatever other name it goes by.
Ingredients of Different Sodas:
High Fructose corn syrup or sucrose
Color (caramel E150d)
Modified food starch
brominated vegetable oil
disodium EDTA (to preserve freshness)
That list alone should make ALL of us never want to touch the stuff again….if it were only that simple. We are creatures of habit and most of us continue doing what we’re used to, even if we know it’s NOT healthy! Until we CHANGE that habit. And we can. YOU can. I promise.
“Your Body Within 1 Hour of Drinking Soda”
I have to admit, as a former teacher, I used to cringe when I saw the amount of soda my students could put away in a day. We may as well have installed a soda fountain instead of the water fountain. Later, as I worked with parents of infants, I almost choked on my lunch one day to see a baby’s bottle filled with Coke. Since that memorable day, I have met others who regularly purchase Pepsi for their tots and think nothing of it when they stock the fridge with Mt. Dew for school days. But there is one thing I know for sure: soda in no way benefits your baby, your child – or you!
We have even seen this in public:
- 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system, which is 100 percent of your recommended daily intake. You’d normally vomit from such an intake, but the phosphoric acid cuts the flavor.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar skyrockets. Your pancreas attempts to maximize insulin production in order to turn high levels of sugar into fat.
- 40 minutes: As your body finishes absorbing the caffeine, your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, and your liver pumps more sugar into the bloodstream. Adenosine receptors in your brain are blocked preventing you from feeling how tired you may actually be.
- 45 minutes: Your body increases dopamine production, causing you to feel pleasure and adding to the addictiveness of the beverage. This physical neuro response works the same way as it would if we were consuming heroin.
- 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, which boosts your metabolism a bit further. High doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners compound this effect, increasing the urinary excretion of calcium. The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (You have to GO!) Your body will eliminate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was otherwise headed to your bones. And you will also flush out the sodium, electrolytes and water. Your body has eliminated the water that was in the soda, and in the process, it was infused with nutrients and minerals your body would have otherwise used to hydrate your system or build body cells, bones, teeth.
- 60 minutes: The sugar crash begins. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You start feeling like crap. Time to grab another?
By Danelle Frisbie
See this image here (click on it to enlarge):
How about you? Were you like us (or are you still drinking this sugary garbage?)
And I can’t tell you in words how much my heart aches when I see babies, infants and toddlers drinking this stuff. Imagine what it’s doing to their long term health.
It was only 6 years ago that I would drink at least ONE can of soda EVERYDAY. No wonder I felt so unhealthy.
Today, we don’t even drink commercial fruit juices.
(Did you know some juices have the same amount of sugar that a can of soda pop has?)
Since the birth of our son Maddox our reason for being healthier has become even stronger.
Let us know your ‘soda’ story if you have one.
Make sure to come connect with us on our Facebook page as well!! This information is too important and too valuable not to share with others you care about so they can also decide for themselves.
Love to all,
~ Naturally Down To Earth mom
– Peaceful Parenting: Dr.momma.org
– Term Life Insurance (photo)
Latest posts by Margaux (see all)
- 7 Ways To Stay Healthy, Strong And Illness-Free This Winter - November 15, 2014
- How To Use Activated Charcoal - November 3, 2014
- 4 Toxic Chemicals This Study Found In Our Halloween Costumes - October 30, 2014
- Top 5 Tips for Homebirth Dads - October 24, 2014
- Pregnancy And Foot Pain: What You Should Know - August 21, 2014